What Is a Contested Divorce?
When both parties cannot agree to dissolve the marriage or are unable to come to an agreement about key issues, the divorce is considered contested. The court will need to decide one or more of these key issues:
- Legal grounds for divorce
- Child custody, visitation, and support
- Spousal maintenance or support (alimony)
- Division of marital property and assets
The Contested Divorce Procedure in NY
Consulting with Queens divorce attorneys is key to managing the steps of divorce when one party will not participate in mediation or compromise. A contested divorce attorney will guide you through these milestones:
- Divorce summons served
- Exchange and file statement of net worth
- Conferences held and discovery completed
- Trial held approximately six months after the preliminary conference
What Factors Will Influence the Court’s Decision?
When filing for divorce in NYC, having an experienced divorce lawyer in Queens on your side will make it easier to influence the final outcome, which will center on these factors:
- Equitable distribution law of New York
- Length of the marriage and age of the parties
- Earning capacity of each spouse
- Best interests of the children, if any
Successfully Navigating a Contested Divorce in NY
Getting a divorce when there are unresolved issues standing in the way is one of the best reasons to look into divorce lawyers in Jamaica, Queens, and the Manhattan area, where you will find the law offices of Joseph A. Ledwidge PC.
We bring the full focus of our combined experiences to strategize on your behalf and negotiate aggressively for the results you need and deserve. Contact us today for a consultation about your contested divorce situation and start making progress toward a fair solution to end the conflict.